Lemmon Petrified Wood Park, Lemmon, South Dakota

Between 1930 and 1930, 30-40 otherwise unemployed men were given the task of building the Lemmon Petrified Wood Park. The entire project was financed by a private individual, O. S. Quammen. All of the petrified wood, grass and other ancient plant life were gathered within a radius of 25 miles of Lemmon. Since Lemmon is a mile due south of the North Dakota border, some of the material came from each of the Dakotas. On June 2, 1932, 10,000 people gathered for the dedication of the park.

In 1954, the park became the property of Lemmon when it was transferred by Mr. Quammen's heirs under stipulations for upkeep and devleopment. During the spring and summer months, a curator is on duty every day to guide tourists and look after the museum. approximately 6,000 people visit the park each year. No admission has ever been charged.

View from across the street

Sign on the corner

Looking toward the museum.
The blue spots are the paint in the fountain.


Inside Castle, ceiling

3 large pieces of petrified log
View of the gas station, now the gift shop

Fountain, does run part of the year

Back to Index Page

More Pictures of the Park